Good morning! I’m back from the Blend Retreat in Colorado and could not have had a better time. I’m missing it more than a little already. I can’t wait to share it all with you – once I catch up with the time difference again and figure out why my camera hates me with its messed up pictures. Either way, why don’t we get moving for Monday and let my sore glutes do the talking?
When you go to a fitness retreat, you will get your body moving. A lot. Lindsay and I helped kick everything off with a bootcamp on Saturday morning.
photo taken from Lindsay
Yes, we both had the best time coming up with a workout to make our friends’ hearts race, sweat pour, and butts scream. So much so that I don’t want all of you to miss out on the fun, so I’ll share our little workout with you here today as a way for you to join in the fun. Why not this afternoon in your home or gym? Or your front lawn at 7:30 am so a lady can come yell at you that you woke up her baby at 6 am? Yep. Happened and I’m still trying to figure out how we woke up her baby a full hour before any of us were up moving around either. Whatever. You don’t care about angry people when riding a workout high.
Our little bootcamp will give you that workout high.
For our bootcamp, we began with 2 laps around the lawn that took about 10 minutes to warm our bodies up and get the blood flowing. Then, Lindsay led everyone through a group of stretches to make sure they were primed and ready for a couple circuits.
We put together a couple of circuits with resistance bands. It’s amazing what you can do with some basic resistance tubing! I helped lead the crew through the above circuits.
- Lunge with Reverse Fly with Band (6:15 into video) – Complete 15 lunges and flyes with 15 pulses at peak contraction on the final rep.
- Jump Square – We did a square of squat jumps jumping forward and back with some 90 and 180 degree turns to make a square. You can also simply jump forward in a squat and then back. Complete 20 total jumps.
- Up/Down Plank Complete 10-20 repetitions, changing the starting arm halfway through.
- Plie Squat with Lateral Raise using a resistance band – Stand on the end of a resistance band with one foot. Grab the band with the opposite hand. As you lower into a wide-stance squat, raise the arm holding the band into a lateral raise. Complete 15 squats/raises with a 15 second pulse on the final rep.
- Side Shuffle and Hops – Complete 5 side shuffles to the right, then do two jumps into the air. Repeat on the other side. Complete 10 total shuffle/hop combos.
- Bicycle Crunch – Complete 25 repetitions.
- Tube Walking Squats – Take 10 steps to the right in a low squat and 10 steps to the left in a low squat. Repeat 4 times for 100 total steps.
- Squat Pulses – Immediately hold a squat position and pulse for 30 seconds at the bottom of the squat.
- Squat with Leg Lift – From the low squat position stand and lift one leg to the side. Go back to a squat position, then stand and lift the opposite leg out to the side. Complete for 10-15 reps per leg.
*Note: The Booty Blast keeps the resistance tubing tied around the ankles at all times.
For our bootcamp, we actually only did each of the above one time through because we had a special game to play. Lindsay had this fabulous idea and it was a hit! The Tennis Ball Game. Fun and apparently pretty tough. Just as Lindsay & I had hoped.
photo courtesy of Heather @ Better With Veggies
We broke everyone into eight teams and everyone made a large circle. We tossed 12 tennis balls into the center of the circle with exercises like burpees, high knees, push-ups, ski hops, crunches, jumping jacks, and more listed on the balls. Each team would have to choose a member to sprint to the center of the circle, grab a ball, and have their team do as many reps of the listed exercise as possible in the 60 seconds the teams had for each round.
It was a blast! And something you could do at home using playing cards or other small to pick-up items. Just list a different exercise for each different item, randomly grab one, and GO for as many reps as possible.
Like I said – the Blend Bootcamp certainly gave us a great workout high. But that was just the beginning! I can’t wait to share more with you later and hopefully you can feel part of the retreat trying this workout out for yourself. Have a great Monday. And…get moving!
Your Turn – How was your weekend? What is the exercise move you love to hate? Burpees and lunges!!!