This weekend started off great with a good feeling run. I finally feel in the mood for running again. I knew my lackluster feelings for it would warm back up sooner rather than later.
Although the bummer came when later that afternoon I started feeling a bit under the weather. I crashed in bed not much after 8 pm on Saturday night, then lazed about with a sore throat and massive headache all day Sunday. So, not the most thrilling weekend. I hope yours was much better!
I also hope you enjoyed the two new posts I decided to start sharing on the blog here at BBF. Did you miss ‘em?
- Scenes from the Week – so we can play a little life catch up on a week to week basis
- Weekly Blessings – a little inspirational thought/blessing to start your week off right
Now time for another regular feature – Move It Monday! Where I share a new workout to try from my personal workouts or some fitness tips to consider in your training.
UPDATE: I spent some of my lazing time updating my blog’s menus to include all my recent workouts and top posts. Be sure to check it all out!
Phase Two of Best Body Bootcamp starts today. When reviewing the workouts last week, I got inspired and included one of the training methods in my own workout on Monday. What would that be? Circuit Intervals. Not a technical term, but a name I came up with for a fun (and effective calorie-burning) all-in-one strength and cardio workout.
A Circuit Interval workout starts up with a light cardio warm-up, then moves into alternating sets of strength exercises and cardio blasts. The workouts contain 3-4 supersets and you complete 5 minutes of fast-paced and challenging cardio in between each group of exercises.
A Circuit Interval workout would flow like this:
Warm-Up > all sets of Superset 1 exercises > 5 – 10 min challenging cardio > all sets of Superset 2 exercises > 5 – 10 min challenging cardio > all sets of Superset 3 exercises > 5 -10 min challenging cardio > Cool Down & Stretch
Now you won’t get lucky enough to get the exact workouts my Best Body Bootcampers received, but I will give you a sample using the moves I completed in my full body workout last Monday. Then, you’ll just have to wait to play along with everyone else during round 3 of boot camp coming at you in a few months.
A few pointers:
- go at YOUR OWN intensity (do less reps, modify exercises, or less intense cardio)
- complete each group of exercises back to back with minimal rest between exercises
- complete 3 sets of each group of exercises
Links to exercises:
- Standing Leg Extension With Shoulder Press
- Curtsy Lunge with Lateral Raise
- Inverted Row – Underhand Grip
- Squat with Bicep Curl (done on a Bosu ball)
- Glute Bridge with Triceps Extension
Your Turn – What was your best workout this past week? Ever mix cardio and strength workouts together into one workout?