Have a burning desire to break a previous personal record in one of your fitness endeavors? Need to not crash and burn energy-wise every afternoon? Hope to get healthier or lose some weight? Find yourself with an uncontrollable snack attack every day? Sleep can affect all those things tremendously. In order to live well, we simply must #SleeptoPerform every night.
That means we should aim for the recommended seven to nine hours…nightly. We can’t make up for it on the weekends and eeking by on four to six can really catch up with our bodies over time. In order to ensure I get enough sleep, I try to focus on the following technique to maximize my shut-eye.
- Make a Regular Sleep Schedule. With my usual 4 am wake-up call on weekday mornings, that means my head hits my Technogel pillow by 9 pm at the absolute latest almost every night. It may make me a grandma, but I know it matters. My body seems to know this schedule by now, so I wake-up a lot easier with the regular routine. Although, I don’t believe 4 am is ever an easy time to wake-up. That’s early!
- Have a Sleep Routine. In addition with having a regular time to head to bed, I also have a few things I like to regularly do to prepare my body for sleep. I typically drink a hot cup of tea while snuggling down on the couch with Peter and either a good book or a favorite show. Basically, I do things to relax and shut my mind off nightly. You could also do such things as listening to white noise or taking a hot shower.
- Watch the Caffeine. For awhile, I realized I wasn’t sleeping too well at night and had a lot of difficult falling asleep. Then, I realized I had started drinking a second cup of coffee a bit later in the morning or early afternoon. By removing it or switching to decaf, my sleep fell right back to normal. Also, caffeine isn’t the only thing that can hinder sleep – alcohol can as well.
- Eat Lighter. I also noticed that when eating heavier dinners at night, I had trouble falling to sleep. By eating lighter meals later in the evening or giving my body a couple hours to digest, I don’t feel as uncomfortable when lying down to sleep. I also make sure to include some complex carbohydrates in my dinners as they boost seratonin levels and promote better quality sleep.
- Have Quality Bedding. I have to admit – this is a new one to me. I’ve always been the what can I get for a bargain at the local mass bedding store type of shopper. I also had been sleeping with the same cheap pillow for the past 4-5 years. It was sad and deflated….and had me waking up every morning with pretty bad shoulder and neck stiffness. Then, through FitFluential, I received the offer to try out a Technogel pillow of my choosing.
I had already heard such rave reviews from friends that I figured my neck would appreciate one of their anatomical pillows. Without a doubt, my neck certainly did appreciate that decision. First, though? What is Technogel and what makes their pillows so special?
Technogel creates a variety of different pillows aimed to fit the different styles of sleeping and different body sizes in order to provide an optimal sleeping experience. To further enhance that level of comfort, each product comes with their special Technogel technology. Here’s how they put it:
Technogel® is the material of which dreams are made:unique soft-solid polyurethane gel that through the years has been used for different and creative applications. Technogel® is the most adaptive, flexible, and incredible material you have ever experienced, which moves like the water having memory the shape of a solid body. For this reason Technogel® is considered the quintessence of comfort.
Yep. Definitely what they said. Here are some key features of the pillows:
- 3-D Deformation: The pillows fully mold themselves to each individual’s physical structure while still providing support, so you don’t feel like you’re pillow is a black hole swallowing your face. Just cushy and comfortable.
- Durability: Made from products that will not age or harden, so the pillow keeps its quality over time.
- Thermal Regulation: I LOVE THIS! It keeps cool. No more sweaty have to turn the pillow and feeling so clammy in the middle of the night wake-up calls.
What does that matter compared to whether or not it actually feels good to sleep on? It all adds up because this pillow completely raised the bar on my sleep. In just over a week, I have significantly less neck and shoulder pain when I wake up in the mornings. I have slept more soundly overall at night.
I feel sooooo good every time I lay down and it takes no time at all for me to drift off. I used to shuffle from my back to my side to my front and back again just trying to get comfortable night after night after night. I didn’t even want to go without it for the few nights I traveled this past weekend. And it was a good thing I brought it with me since it certainly helped me sleep better the 2 nights leading up to my race.
The key question – would I buy this myself? YES! Without hesitation. And we may be buying one ourselves for Peter to use. So he stops trying to steal mine at night. It would be worth every penny too. You can’t put a price on sleep. #SleeptoPerform
Your Turn: What things do you need to do or have in order to #SleeptoPerform?
I received this pillow from Technogel and FitFluential to review. All opinions expressed are my own.