Please note that the Stuffed With Emptiness (click for all other posts in this series) posts touch on detailed parts of my past experience with binge eating. If this could be a triggering topic to you in any way,read any with caution.Regardless of your experience, I hope you watch the vlog since it discusses the healing process.
In my last post, I promised you all a video blog for my next Stuffed With Emptiness post. I think speaking about my experience can only bring a new level of realness to the topic. I want to express just how much I believe we can all fight the evils of unhealthy food relationships. In the vlog, I share about the binge that initiated the first steps in overcoming my struggles and what those steps were.
I tried to keep the time down, but just couldn’t touch on all that needed to be said in just a few minutes. So, for those of you who can’t watch because you’re at work, or are reading on the run, or simply don’t have patience for 9 minutes of a vlog (I understand!), find the condensed version below:
- March of 2005 = My First Binge
- Early June of 2007 = How joining an online fitness forum gave me an unhealthy body ideal and lead me to wanting to compete in a fitness competition.
- Late August of 2007 = I trained for the show, but had to pull out from the show at 2 weeks out. Immediately after losing the restrictions, I resorted back to binging badly. I gained almost 30 pounds in 2 months.
- Late October or Early November of 2007 = I experienced the “turning point” binge. I realized the low I hit by some of the actions I took during that binge. Then, a couple days later found myself in hysterical tears in the stall of a public restroom. The will to change had finally overcome my secret love and affair with binge eating.
The First Steps I Took
- Got Rid of Food Rules – which did initially make things harder
- Worked on Self-Love – using a few different methods
- Got Support – finally sucked it up and told Peter (I also let you all know that I will do all I can to support you)
- Forgave Myself – how the road is hard and slip-ups will happen, so forgiveness is vital
For additional reading on my experience, please visit the posts in the series all found on my Binge Eating page.
What’s something you have had to forgive yourself for?
Don’t miss Best Body Fitness around the web!
- My post on Quick Dinner Ideas was syndicated on BlogHer this week! It has lots of practical, quick fixes for dinner. If you missed it before, head on over!
- I participated in Tuesday Trainer this week. Lots of heart-pumping moves you simply must check-out!
Have a fit, healthy, self-loving, believe-in-yourself Wednesday, my friends!!!